Hsinchu - Week 48 - My Second Move

Unlike the last few weeks where it feels like the P-days have been coming in two shakes of a lamb's tail, last P-day feels like it was 8 years ago, almost like a dream. This amazing week stretched on and on. 

I attribute that to the move.

Last Tuesday afternoon, President Peterson called me and asked if I would be willing to go to a new area and be a Sister Training Leader (STL). I said "I am willing!" And then President said "Great, I would like you to go to 新竹 (Xinzhu/Hsinchu) and Sister Phillips is there right now, she will be your new companion." 

And I was like, no way!!! Sister Phillips and I were in the same English Lit. class our senior year and we have really close mutual friends. We were also in the MTC together for three weeks because she is a transfer younger than me. It's really cool, God's plan. I am SO excited to be here. It is so funny because Xinzhu is on the complete other side of the island from Hualian, so I am so blessed to be getting a feel of a whole new, very different place!

Our Thursday started out early. We woke up at about 5am so that I could finish packing (even though I was up way too late the night before trying to get rid of stuff and collect all the 東西 (stuff) I have accumulated over my mission into my suitcases-oops) and we called a taxi. Sister Xie and I would both be moving. As we put our suitcases into the trunk, I had to say goodbye to Sister Lee, and let me tell you, it was difficult to say goodbye to that lady! If it wasn't for the fact that Sister Xie and the driver were there with me in the taxi, I would have just wept on the way to the train station. Saying goodbye to Hualian, my home for another most inredible six months of my life, made me want to cry bittersweet tears of gratitude and joy. And also I just 捨不得 Hualian!

It turns out that mine and Sister Xie's luggage was way too much for one taxi, so Sister Lee and Sister Meeks (Sister Xie's companion) took another taxi to the train station with our luggage in it. When it was really time to say a final goodbye, Sister Lee had tears in her eyes and I was like, no no no no no no I am going to start bawling...I thought about all the amazing times we had in training together. All the nights we rode bikes in the rain knocking doors; the time when we got yelled at and kicked out of a house by a minister of another church; when our Ward Mission Leader drove us out to the boonies to teach a lesson that ended up falling through and then his car broke down and we got towed; nightly sharing with each other the other's missionary moment of the day; feeling free to share our thoughts with one another; dining with members and some friends we were teaching; drinking way too many DingGo and Coco drinks; jamming out to that song by The Bonner Family; singing together all the time; praying daily, many times a day together, seeking direction for where we should go and what we should do to help those we were teaching; fasting for added strength from Heaven to find new people to teach and help our friends progress; laughing...a lot. 

Sister Lee was the best trainee I wouldn't have even dared ask for. She is a professional. She trained me. I left Hualian feeling at peace because I know that beautiful area and our friends are in her careful, loving, obedient, hardworking, kind, and capable hands, led by the Spirit of the Lord. And get this: Sister Lee's new companion is my cute companion from the MTC, Sister Zentz! They're gonna just kill it together down there.

So how is Xinzhu, you might ask? Other than the fact that the air quality here is a little scary, this place is the promised land. The ward is a big family ward and they are all so excited about helping us do missionary work! Sister Phillips and her previous companion, Sister Nolan, worked so hard last transfer to find some amazing people who are preparing to be baptized right now. Sister Phillips is KILLER at street contacting and asking inspired questions, I am looking forward to learning lots from her. We have been teaching quite a bit in the last few days and we are pumped to help our friends and keep seeking for more who are willing to hear the message of the Restored Gospel. This transfer we want to work with the members like crazy! And as STLs we are privileged to be able to work with the fabulous sisters in our zone...go on exchanges with them, follow up with them nightly over Line calls, and learn from and encourage them! I feel like I will be able to improve on focusing even more outside of myself than ever before. I've learned that as my focus is not on myself but on others, I am much more positive, cheerful, and hopeful about the work and about life in general. Sister Phillips and I are just so grateful and looking forward to bring more Love to the Xinzhu zone.

D&C 100
4 Therefore, I, the Lord, have suffered you to come unto this place; for thus it was expedient in me for the salvation of souls.
5 Therefore, verily I say unto you, lift up your voices unto this people; speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men;

Xinzhu, LET'S GOOOOOOO! 

I love you all.
------------------------------------------------------------


My new companion Sister Phillips!

Comments

Popular Posts