Finally in Taiwan!

From here on out my blog posts are officially FIELD NOTES because I'm finally out in the FIELD! Holla!! After a whirlwind couple of days (that felt like one interminable day), a delayed flight and a late arrival, the 14 of us Taipei missionaries finally made it to Taiwan. I wasn't sure we were ever going to get here, hahaha! However, at an hour much too late for missionaries to be awake, we met our mission president, President Jergensen, and his assistants upon exiting the airport. We were driven to the mission home and had a jetlag tainted but much needed sleep.

The next day was Sunday, October 22 (yesterday for us) and we ate breakfast in the mission president's home! Then we went to stake conference in the building right next to the Taipei temple. It was all in Chinese, of course, so I was only able to pick out words and grasp a little bit of meaning. I'm sure I'll get better at understanding as I continue to study and immerse myself in this amazing place and culture! Later that day we met our trainers. Sister Clyde (also Ai Jie Mei but a different character for Ai) is mine and she is pretty amazing. She can talk to anyone on the streets with grace and fluidity, and she's excellent at transitioning into testifiying of gospel truths and extending invitations on the spot. Just last night we set up a lesson and met a guy who we'll set up to meet with missionaries in a different area! I am eager to learn a lot from Sister Clyde and work super hard to develop some of the abilites she has!

Last night we also had a lesson with a less-active member who hasn't been to church in ten years. Her husband passed away a few weeks ago from cancer and she is having a really hard time. I couldn't understand everything she said and Sister Clyde carried the conversation, but I felt a strong love for this woman and we all cried together. I could feel the Spirit strongly when we testified that Jesus Christ understands her pain and knows how to help her. She said that she's willing to start reading the Book of Mormon every day, and we promised that it will bring her comfort. I know it will. She told us that we have helped her so much already, and I was so suprised to hear that! But I am beginning to see the weight of the message of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ we carry; the importance and beauty of it. It can and will truly change lives.

Taiwan, here I come with my broken Chinese, my resolve to work hard, and help from the Lord! This church is SO true and I love you all!
 --------------------------------------------------------
(Sent to us from the mission home) Sister Clyde warmly greets Alessia as her new trainee...
On the roof of the mission home! You can kind of see Taipei 101 behind us...
President Jergensen grilling some meat (that I nor my companion ate bc we're both vegetarians! What_!)
Us with the sweet lady we taught last night!

Comments

Popular Posts