Sanchong District - Week 13

A couple of days ago, Sister Maynard and I were doing our companion study session in a Seven near our apartment. Sitting at a nearby table was a cute high school student, and even though we were in studies, we felt we should start up a conversation with her. It soon became clear that she was very open to learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and we shared the message of the Restoration on the spot. Her eyes lit up when I told her that I had a copy of the Book of Mormon in my bike to give to her. We snagged the copy from my bike, presented it to her and watched her start reading it right there, then continued studying. Forty minutes later, at the conclusion of our studies, we looked over and saw that her nose was still in the Book. 

She told us that she really liked it so far, and she gave us her own and her mother's phone number. We called her mom the next day to ask if we could set up a time to share our message with their family, but her mom had no interest. Her mom also said that her daughter was probably just embarrassed to reject us and that's why she took the Book of Mormon. She did say, however, that if by some chance the daughter actually did want to set up to meet with us again, she could. We'd just have to call her tomorrow.

Last night was the moment of truth. Sister Maynard pulled out the phone and dialed the girl's number. I began to fervently pray that this girl would set up with us, that she would give it a chance to learn more about the restored gospel. Someone who likes the Book of Mormon as much as she seemed to is bound to have that desire, right? Well, she answered the phone. Not only did she say that she would like to meet with us again and set up for next Saturday, she also said that she had read some more of the Book of Mormon that day! And she really, really likes it.

My dear friends and family, I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but the Book of Mormon is a wonder. It is unequivocally the word of God. If you sincerely read it with real intent, you will inevitably come closer to God. I can tell you from personal experience that when I read it, I am happier than when I don't. I am happier now than I was back home when I wasn't consistently reading it, and it's not because I'm having a vacation in Taiwan. Missionary work is hard and I've felt like going back to bed and hiding under the covers several times this week when things haven't gone as hoped for. However, since I have been reading this book every day and striving to apply its teachings, I am happier. And it's because I have been able to have the Spirit's guidance. I am learning about what it really means to repent.The coolest part is seeing the Book of Mormon do the same thing for our investigators who are diligently reading it as well. I want to see it do the same for you! I invite you this week to crack open a copy of this precious book and start reading it. See how it can change your life. And if you're already reading it, what can you do share it with your loved ones this week? We read the scriptures because they "persuade [us] to believe in the Lord [our] Redeemer" and another cool part is we can "liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning" (1 Nephi 19: 23). I testify that this is true.

I love you guys so much, you're the best! Until next week!

------------------------------------------
I finished Book A--now on to Book B!!!
 Scriptures and hot chocolate...
 Sister Maynard during companion study time...

Comments

Popular Posts