Sanchong District - Week 21 - Your Testimony of Jesus Christ

This week Sister Maynard and I cut each other's hair, gave up eating sugar, went finding at a huge lantern/light festival, and continued to do our best to help our friends prepare to get baptized. I'll let the pictures tell the story of what we did this week because I want to talk about something else. 

On Wednesday night at the end of English class, I had the opportunity to bear my testimony of Jesus Christ as part of our thirty-minute spiritual thought. Since we teach the Advanced class, we usually do our spiritual share in English because they can understand for the most part and want to practice listening. Bearing personal testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ, is among my top favorite things we get to do every day on the mission. Actually, one of my favorite things we get to do at all on the mission. 

And yet I often feel so nervous to do it! It's a vulnerable feeling because even though the Atonement of Jesus Christ is infinite and eternal, it's also deeply personal. I make sense of it like this: 
Christ's sacrifice stretches across all mankind and redeems us all from the effects of the Fall of Adam, yes. And Christ paid the price of the sins for all who have lived, live now, and ever will live if they accept and follow Him. As massive as that is, as universal, this Atonement was made especially for me. And it was made especially for you. And I have experienced the miracle of that in my life, so when I bear my testimony of it, it feels like I'm taking something from the innermost part of my being and showing it to everyone. It's scary and vulnerable, but I know I must share! Every person needs to hear the good news. 

There is so much power in speaking Jesus Christ's name with love, reverence, and a firm belief that He is my Redeemer, my Everything. I can feel something behind me, backing up the words I say. A confirmation that I'm speaking truth. It's a warmth in my chest, a palpable stillness in the air. Every time I bear my testimony of Him, I believe the words I say even more than before.

President Eyring said "The words 'come unto Christ' are an invitation. It is the most important invitation you could ever offer to another person. It is the most important invitation anyone could accept." 

As I read that I feel a very real weight of responsibility on my shoulders. This is my calling, to invite others to come unto Christ from the moment I wake up in the early morning until the moment I drift off to sleep at night. Sometimes it even continues in my dreams. I know that as a missionary my full time is dedicated to this holy work, and I am not even close to perfect at it. But no matter our role, we can ALL take on the responsibilty to spread the glad tidings of great joy! We can all share our personal, unique testimonies of Jesus Christ.

So this week, I hope we can all either extend or accept this most important invitation to follow Christ. Whatever that means for you.

I love you all so much.
-----------------------------------------------------
The Light Festival in Sanchong...

 This is Taiwan for ya...
 Riding the bike life...
 A nice temple view on a Friday night...
 In scripture class we built Nephi's boat with balloons...
 A view from Sister Li's roof...
 Best time in Jiufen with these sisters!
 Streets to walk in Jiufen...
 What a view...

Comments

Popular Posts