Hualien - Week 24 - Transfer Five: Cast Out to the Boonies

Transfer Five: Cast Out to the Boonies

Well, most missionaries would say that the real Boonies is actually Taidong, but I'd say Hualian also counts because I took a three hour train ride from Taipei Main Station to get here. After tearfully saying goodbye to Sister Maynard in Sanchong, I began to drag my three suitcases towards the elevator so I could, companionless, get on the MRT towards Taipei Main Station. Folks, my suitcases were heavy. They felt like they were full of bricks and as I was a little crunched for time, stress started to kick in.

Somehow, the Lord provides a way. There were three different angels that voluntarily offered to help me along the journey. In order to thank them for noticing me struggle with my suitcases and helping me carry them from elevator to platform to MRT entrances, I bore my testimony of God's love for them and invited them to come to free English class hahaha. None of them had much interest in learning more about Jesus Christ right now, but I hope they each remember the conversation we had about Him.

As I was boarding the final train and the last angel was helping me find a place to put my suitcases, I had an overwhelming feeling that Heavenly Father was looking out for me, one of His missionaries. I know, without a doubt, that He is watching over each one of His children.

As the train sped closer and closer to my new home, my new apartment, my new investigators, my new life as a missionary, I watched the city landscape change into a beautiful picture of nature. There were deep green trees (I almost forgot what a tree looks like) and foliage and small-looking, quaint homes. The air slowly became clearer. And then my new companion, Sister Tu, joined me on the train from her last area, Yilan, about two hours into my ride.

Sister Tu is a Taiwanese nurse who is now starting her ninth transfer on the island. She is straight fire. She is the only member of the church in her family, she's friendly, personable, amazing at talking to people. She has a desire to work so hard and be happy doing the work. She is also helping me with my Chinese. I have been speaking a looooottttt of Chinese the past three days. Actually, though, today we're doing a Chinese Fast because Sister Tu has a goal to improve her English and I want to help her do that! I am so excited to continue to 傳教 with Sister Tu.

So. The two of us are white-washing Hualian together.

White-washing occurs when both missionaries in an area are transferred and replaced by two missionaries from different areas. Therefore, Sister Tu and I came in without having met a single soul, including our investigators and ward members. (One of the sisters who just left Haulian, Sister Swanson, switched places with me!) So far we have only been able to set up with and meet two of our investigators. The rest are unresponsive, and it's a little nerve-racking. But it's okay! It's fun! What is the definition of an adventure? White-washing.

Hualian is probably about as different as you can get from Sanchong. Whereas in Sanchong you can't go two minutes without passing more people than you can count, depending on where you are in Hualian, you can ride your bike for ten minutes without seeing a single person. Missionary work may be a little different here. I feel like I have been shoved off a cliff. Half of me feels like we might be plummeting to certain death, but then the free fall is thrilling. And the truth is, Heavenly Father has provided a parachute like He always does. I just gotta trust in Him and pull the cord!

While watching General Conference on Saturday and yesterday, I gained comfort and assurance that if I have the guidance of the Holy Ghost, there is nothing to fear. Now, how do we receive personal revelation? President Nelson gave us some specific, inspiring counsel:

"Find a quiet place where you can regularly go. Humble yourself before God. Pour out your heart to your Heavenly Father. Turn to Him for answers and for comfort.
"Pray in the name of Jesus Christ about your concerns, your fears, your weaknesses—yes, the very longings of your heart. And then listen! Write the thoughts that come to your mind. Record your feelings and follow through with actions that you are prompted to take. As you repeat this process day after day, month after month, year after year, you will 'grow into the principle of revelation.'”

I am so excited for the days ahead. I will do my best to follow the direction from the Prophet and Apostles and then always have a prayer in my heart. There are so many souls who live here in Hualian that need to hear the gospel. I pray Sister Tu and I will be able to find them, teach them, and help them prepare to make covenants with God.

HUALIAN LET'S GOOOOOOO. I LOVE you all, see ya next week!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My new companion, Sister Tu!
Heading to my new apartment...

Comments

Popular Posts