Hualien - Week 26 - "A Feeling Like I'm Returning Home"

"A Feeling Like I'm Returning Home"

I believe it was the morning of February 27 that Sister Maynard and I found a 7-11 in Sanchong that we'd never been to before. We hadn't been sitting for two minutes when a tiny older lady with gray hair wobbled up to our table and initiated a conversation with us. Her name was Sister Wang. She told us right away that a few years ago a sister missionary gave her a coat and saved her life. From there we began to teach her about Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father, we prayed with her, and we asked if she'd like us to share more with her. She said yes. 

Over the next few weeks, we met with her twice a week and taught her the doctrines of the gospel. We met in the 7 sometimes, and other times we met in her home. We asked a Sanchong ward member, Sister Zhou, to be her special friend, accompany her at church and activities, and join us in her lessons. It was very clear from the start that Sister Wang believed that God is her Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ is her Savior. Tears slipped down her cheeks as she imagined herself in Joseph Smith's shoes, beholding two Heavenly personages and hearing them call her by name. Sometimes she would cry when she, herself, communicated with Heavenly Father through prayer. 

As she accepted our invitations to read the Book of Mormon and pray, even though she had never really done anything like it before in her life, we saw her come closer to Christ. She was experiencing a change as she felt the Spirit and began to repent and to follow the commandments, such as keeping the Word of Wisdom and coming to church. One day, on her weak and weathered legs, she walked for an hour and a half to get to church. (It was kind of unnecessary because she could have taken the bus, but still. She showed her dedication to her Heavenly Father). Little by little she was preparing herself to be baptized.

We had initially set a date for her to be baptized on April 7, but because of General Conference and Stake Conference conflicts, we had to postpone her baptism to April 21. I believe it ended up working out perfectly, exactly how it was meant to be, though. When saying goodbye to Sister Wang before I left Sanchong on April 5, I remember telling her "Don't you worry, if I don't get sent to Haulian I can totally come back to attend your baptism!" 

Hahahaha and then I was sent to Hualian. 

But, Sister Maynard and I were given permission to video chat so I could talk to Sister Wang for a couple minutes before her baptismal service started. On Saturday, April 21, they called me and I saw Sister Wang wearing her white clothes, getting all excited. I asked her how she felt and she said she felt peaceful. She looked peaceful. Her smile was contagious. Sister Maynard then said: "tell Sister Love what you told us the other day." And then Sister Wang said "I have a feeling like I am returning home."

I have a testimony that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the true way to lasting happiness. I know that you can experience its blessings by applying its principles into your own lives. I have seen many people change as a result of coming unto Christ so far on my mission. Further, I believe that the healing power of the Atonement of Christ is available to me personally because I have experienced the peace that comes from repentance. I have noticed myself and my desires changing. And I know from reading the scriptures, hearing the prophets' witnesses, and feeling the Holy Ghost tell me these things are true, that we all can apply the healing balm of Christ's Atonement to heal any ailment, to become closer to the person that God wants us to be! 

We can all return home.

I love you all!
----------------------------------------------------






Comments

Popular Posts