Hsinchu - Week 62 - Welcoming in the New Year

Welcoming in the New Year

On Saturday our dear friend Rachel got baptized. We met her on the street outside her house on a late October Sunday as we were biking toward the church. We just saw a lady on the side of the road and stopped to talk with her, and it was very clear from the beginning that she had a humble, seeking heart (Alma 27:18). The first time we met with her, she told us she felt the Spirit so strongly as Sister Phillips shared Joseph Smith's description of seeing God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ in the sacred grove. The third time we met with her, she set the baptismal date goal of Dec 29. She was nervous because she thought she wasn't going to be able to give up tea hahaha (she already knew that we don't drink tea and coffee). But as she learned the doctrine of Christ and came to understand and know Him better through reading the Book of Mormon, and as she received revelation from God through prayer, she was able overcome all her concerns. She found answers to her questions. And she became ready to enter into a covenant with Heavenly Father to always remember Christ, take upon her His name, and keep His commandments.

She knows that through Christ, she can become a better mother. She desires to set an example for her husband and two children so they can see how Christ can change ours and our family members' lives!

It's exciting that she was able to be baptized at the close of 2018, near the opening of a new year. Baptism is literally a brand new, fresh start, a 重新的開始. Analogously, we all have a chance at a new start as the year 2019 rolls in. My mission has taught me many things, but one important thing I have learned is how to more effectively set goals and make plans. I yearn to be closer to the person that God wants to me to be and I strive to accomplish what He wants me to accomplish. I know that through prayerfully setting goals, writing out plans, and doing everything in our power to achieve them, God will help us fulfill our potential.

So. I am super super close to finishing the Book of Mormon (I started it over again in October when President Nelson invited all the sisters in the church to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year). And I came across Ether 12:27 for the thousandth time, but as I read it this time, tears came to my eyes. Jesus said:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

I was first probed to ponder on my weaknesses, many of which have come right before my eyes as I have been serving a mission. Then I remembered how merciful the Lord has been to me here as I have asked for His help, as I have begged for His forgiveness. And I have seen that He has taken my best, yet sometimes feeble efforts and given me strength to do things that I would not be able to do on my own. Whether it be through, for example, managing to stay cheerful despite the pouring rain and a sopping wet skirt, being able to understand one of my companions even though her native language is not my own, or even just being able to focus better during personal study, I have seen the Lord's hand in my every day. He has answered my prayers and pleas. He has strengthened me, and I know He can continue to help me so I can be a sharper instrument in His hands to accomplish His work and to love His children in Taiwan or even at home.

I know He can do the same for you.

I love the Lord. I love His work. I pray that we can all rely on Jesus Christ as we resolve for the new year to change and achieve our goals. As we seek Him, repent and do our best, Christ will help us to improve and forgive and forget, and He will compensate for the parts we can't do on our own. He will take our weaknesses and help them become strengths.

I love you all. I wish you a happy new year and I shall talk to ya next week!
----------------------------------





Comments

Popular Posts