Hsinchu - Week 67 - In Giving We Will Find

As a mission, we are seeking and working to build the church in Taiwan. Sister Lyman and I both feel like we've never worked harder, never planned better, and as we are trying to serve and love others, we are being blessed with greater faith in Christ and greater excitement and motivation to do this work.

Also, 新年快樂! 恭喜發財! 萬事如意!!! Happy Chinese New Year! We're gonna try really hard not to gain 1000 pounds as we "break bread" with different member families during every lunch and dinner this week. It's a new year tradition here to FEAST and we are so grateful that the members are so willing to treat the missionaries and let us join in with them on this special part of their lives and culture. While feasting with them on the incredible food they prepare, we also plan to feast with them on the words of Christ. Through powerful spiritual shares we hope to, instead of gaining extra pounds, gain TRUST from and closer friendships with the members. That way we can more effectively do the work of the Lord together. It's exciting.

We saw some miracles:
  • While I was on exchanges with the cute Sister Concardas from the Philippines this last Thursday, we knocked on the door of our member's neighbor, Sister Chen, and taught her the Restoration inside our member family's home! She set up to meet again.
  • We visited a returning member named Sister Zeng who hasn't been to church in years. We have been working with her for a while, and when we went to visit her we opened the Book of Mormon together and read together. After encouraging her and showing her our love, she agreed to read the Book of Mormon every day this week. (This is very big.) We know this will help her in her conversion process and she is GONNA COME BACK!
  • We received a referral from a member who lives in America...she sent us the information of a high school student who lives in our area who actually stayed at her house in Utah for an exchange program! We were able to visit her--she was home at the perfect time--and give her a Mandarin copy of Book of Mormon.
  • I wore pants one day because sister missionaries can wear pants. Sister Lyman feels that pants are powerful and make her feel like she can run the world.
Last Tuesday we also had Mission Leadership Council. My fourth and last one. Being able to sit at the feet of President Peterson speak the word of God and share the revelation he has received was an incredible spiritual experience. He taught us how to build up the church here and shared his vision again.

"In giving we will find," he said. It means that as we bring the Spirit, bless and share our love and bring people back to church, we will find more people who are ready to accept the restored gospel. I've been pondering the words, "in giving we will find," and I think they apply not only to full-time missionary work but to all of our lives. When do I find that I am filled with the most joy? It's when I'm not worried about myself; when I'm giving to others. I know that Jesus' words are true when He says "whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it" (Matt. 16:25). In GIVING we will FIND...ourselves. We will find a better version of ourselves; one that is more and more like Christ.

On Thursday we held zone council for our 新竹Xinzhu Zone. I remember at the end I bore testimony that I KNOW President Peterson is a man of God. His council about member work is revelation straight from God and I know if we do everything we can to apply it, we have seen and will see miracles. As I was saying that, I felt the Spirit confirming what I was saying was true. This is God's work and Jesus Christ is with us in the work. It was a simple but meaningful experience because as I testified I felt power...not the type of power that comes from wearing pants or lipstick, but spiritual power.

I want to have this type of power as I do this missionary work; the Spirit is everything. The Spirit is the only way that makes this work work.

I speak in the energy of my soul (Alma 5:43)
Declare the things which ye know to be true (D&C 80:4)
For when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men (2 Nephi 33:1).

I love you all and, as always, hope you have a great week. I invite you to ponder what you can do to give more and who you can give to in your own life, then take action! You'll see miracles.
-------------------------------------------------






Comments

Popular Posts