Sanchong District - Week 4

Hello friends! This week has been awesome (as per usual). My fav part of being a missionary is watching our investigators develop faith in Jesus Christ. When they say they're willing to get baptized, or, even better, say they'll get baptized, AND come to church AND keep commitments, I feel an excitement spread through me. It's a joy unlike any I've experienced. My happiest days are when these people I've begun to really love take small steps to come closer to Christ.

I'm struggling with the language barrier, admittedly. I still don't understand more than half of what others around me are saying. As investigators share with us in lessons, I do my best to pick up the details of their personal experiences. However, I often just feel completely out of the loop. It's honestly quite frustrating.

Well. Today I was reading in the December edition of a Church-produced magazine called the Liahona. (Pretty much the best magazine out there, just so y'all know). Anyway, I'd like to highlight some of my fav parts of the article entitled "Joseph Smith: Strength out of Weakness.” It was about Joseph Smith, a boy with too inadequate an education to be considered of the world as "learned" or even "strong." Joseph mentioned in a letter to William W. Phelps in 1832 that he was trapped in "the little narrow prison almost as it were total darkness of paper pen and ink and a crooked broken scattered and imperfect language." But even though he was weak in writing and language, the Lord chose him to translate The Book of Mormon. What the?! How did he DO it?!

The article outlines that in Jacob 4:7 it says "the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things."

Joseph Smith gained the ability to do God's work through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. And he did some pretty phenomenal things to say the least (see D&C 135:3).

It happened to be absolutely perfect that I was reading about weaknesses becoming strengths through the Atonement of Christ. I honestly have times of discouragement--whether that be after lessons or after a meeting with ward members--where I doubt that I will ever become sufficient in the Chinese language and in speaking Mandarin. But I was reminded today that if I just put my trust in Christ and work as hard as I can, my weaknesses can become strong. The Lord needs me now to do His work, and He's not going to leave me alone. Because I can't do it alone! I can learn this language, though, with the Lord's help. He can help me become stronger. And He can help you, too! I encourage you to pray to the Lord and ask Him to help you with the things you struggle with. If you fully intend to do His will and do your best, He will direct your path. He will make you more than you ever could be on your own.


I love you all!
----------------------------------------------
Now that we have smart phones, we have to spend 2 hours a day transferring data from the paper area books to our area book app....
 Sister Clyde and I enjoying some good quality tofu and rice...
 Ward Thanksgiving party...
With our AWESOME investigator Wang Wei...

Comments

Popular Posts