Sanchong District - Week 5

Amidst some slight disappointments involving not finding a ton of new investigators this week, I've seen a lot of great things happen. One of which I'll tell you, hao buhao (like it or not)? :) This last Tuesday in a Seven Eleven, Sister Clyde was making calls on our one phone with the SIM card, so I decided to chat up some tongxue's (high school students). There were four friends sitting at a table and I went up to them and started preaching about Jesus, hahaha. Well, not quite like that; I asked them what their names were and got to know them a bit first. One of the boys was an absolute character. He told me his last name was "Shuai," which is basically the best compliment you can receive in Chinese because it means "cool," "good looking," "rad," "handsome," all at once. After a couple minutes of talking I realized that he and another of the kids were filming me. They were putting videos of me on their Instagram or Snapchat story! Just because I'm from America does not make me that cool. I'm sure that's the closest I'll ever come to being famous. And hey! Hopefully they filmed my little lecture about how none of us are perfect--("Well, I'm perfect, none of THEM are perfect," said Mr. Shuai)--and that we need Jesus because he makes up the difference for us. I'm all about that Snapchat life if it's used to spread gospel teachings, am I right?!

But. Here's the miracle part of the story: one of the students in particular was a girl who was intently listening to the message I was sharing. From the very beginning I just had a feeling that she wanted to learn more, but her friends were exerting a peer-pressure-like influence that stopped her from admitting she'd like to meet with us. I invited a couple of times, but to no avail. She didn't set up with us. So I had the thought to just give her our number. I said "If you have interest in briefly meeting with us to learn more, you can call us! It's not weird, I promise. We do it all the time." 

Well, folks, that very night during Coordination meeting with the ward missionaries, our phone started ringing. You bet your buttons it was that little tongxue! She wanted to set up with us. Weirdly, she is supposedly busy with school until December 17, but she said she would like to come to church on that day. We're going to do our best to keep in contact with her and see that she really comes! It might take a miracle, but God is a God of miracles. And even if she doesn't end up coming (but she will!) it was still a miracle.There are miracles in every day (see Mormon 9:11,15-21). 

I invite you all, every night this week, to reflect on each day's miracle. Just find one place in the day that meant something to you. One place in the day that you're grateful for. I promise if you look, you'll find it. You find what you look for. I love you all!
----------------------------------------




Comments

Popular Posts