Sanchong District - Week 19 - Consider the Lilies

Last night at a fireside, Sister Maynard, Sister Clyde, and I sang a song called "Consider the Lilies." It's a stunning piece of music that reminds me about how God is aware of all of His children and has a plan for each of us. The plan is His Son, and we just have to follow Him.

I don't know if you remember, but back in December I wrote about a lesson that Sister Clyde and I taught to a woman, Sister Huang, who has been rejecting missionaries for years and years. Her husband, a member, has been trying to convince her to meet with missionaries for a long time. The two of them lived half of the time in Sanchong and half of the time in Tainan. In December, while they were in Sanchong, she let us meet with her and her husband to do a "Christmas share." I remember that lesson was the first lesson I had on the mission where we could all feel the palpable influence of the Holy Ghost from the beginning until the very end. These types of lessons are among my top favorite moments of the mission.

After we met with them the first time, we committed her to start reading the Book of Mormon (as she'd never taken time before to read it for herself!) We taught her one more lesson and encouraged her over the phone a couple of times. Her husband was absolutely thrilled to watch her growth. After a short while, the two of them moved down to Tainan full time. Unbeknownst to me, Sister Huang had been taking the missionary lessons from two elders serving in the Taichung 台中 mission. And two days ago, Sister Clyde sent me a picture that almost brought tears to my eyes. It was a picture of Sister Huang and her husband wearing white clothing, standing in the church with their two children. They were all wearing big, happy smiles because in just a few short moments, Sister Huang would enter the waters of baptism.

The joy I feel for her and her family is something so sweet and special that my limited vocabulary and ability to express myself just won't be enough. Sister Huang, her husband, Brother Cai, and their children are one step closer to receiving the blessings of the temple and becoming a forever family. This blessing is available to all who choose to accept and follow Jesus Christ!

Well, friends. I have been serving a mission for over six months now, and I am almost 20 years old. Oh dear. 怎麼辦?!Sometimes I find and stop myself in a moment and remember that I'm among the Taiwanese people in their country across the world from home. I'm stuttering, mispronouncing, and chopping up their language, and yet they are so patient and encouraging. By the grace of God I am communicating with them and they understand what I'm saying. Nobody can deny that this is a miracle straight from heaven. Admittedly, not every day on the mission has been peachy or even good. But the key is to just keep going. Keep working. Keep trying. Keep trusting in the One who knows all, and through Christ, everything is going to work out better than you can plan out for yourself.

So this week I invite you to...

consider the lilies; how they grow.

And remember that...

He clothes the lilies of the field, He feeds the lambs of his fold, And He will heal those who trust him, And make their hearts as gold.

I love you all so much.
------------------------------------------------------
With Sister Sorenson...
 Talking to one of the Assistants to the President...
 Feasting upon the word...
 This is where I live!
Sister Love's Field Notes Live...

Comments

Popular Posts