Hualien - Week 39 - Keep Going

This week was kind of one big rough patch, hehe, but there were miracles, so let's focus on those:

Many people--members and non-members--treated us to meals this week. So kind!
Before teaching a lesson one day, we randomly ran into the Bishop at the university in our area and it was PERFECT because we had some stuff we needed to talk to him about.
  • We biked in the rain a lot, one time without rain gear, and got DRENCHED. It's been really fun!
  • We drank our favorite drinks from Coco, 冬瓜茶加奶霜加珍珠 (wintermelon tea with cream and tapioca pearls).
  • We watched some District 3--Online Proselyting--videos and got PUMPED.
  • We visited with a member family and they have a daughter in Young Women's who was baptized last year. She floors us with her strong testimony, especially because her parents don't really come to church all that much.
  • We met and set up to teach a mom (who ended up standing us up twice) but it was still a miracle to be able to share with her outside a Family Mart and feel the Spirit testifying through us to them.
  • We ate some really quality hot pot that wasn't even too expensive.
  • We taught an Recent Convert lesson to Kai Rui, the boy that was baptized at the end of April. His non-member friend was with us there too, and he was so eager to help his friend say the closing prayer. When we testified that "we know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true," Kai Rui blurted out, "I do too!"
  • We played frisbee at the park with the elders and other sisters for exercise one morning. One elder threw the frisbee and it landed on the roof of the pavilion. There was a ladder nearby. That was a miracle.

So, we met a Christian family who, to make a long story short, were initially so welcoming to us and willing to hear our message. The second time we visited their home, it was clear that they'd been persuaded by the leader of their church that the Book of Mormon is basically of the devil and they should absolutely not read it. What's more, the pastor himself was there, raised his voice at us, made us feel like we were terrible and wrong, and invited us to leave the house and not come back. My companion and I were heartbroken for this family. The most painful part was seeing the wife not even dare to touch the Book of Mormon as we offered it to her, opened to Alma 32:27, in our outstretched arms. 

This book means EVERYTHING to me. Through it I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. Through it I know that by relying on the Savior's Atonement, I can become cleansed from sin and overcome my weaknesses, slowly improving day by day. I have a chance at becoming like Heavenly Father someday, at living with my precious family forever. Trying to apply these truths in my life are the very foundation that holds me up and sustains me through every day. And I want, more than anything, to help bring people to the knowledge of these truths so they can realize the same blessings. When people don't accept the message of the restored gospel, we are very, very sad for them. But it is the hope of Jesus Christ that sustains me through that as well. God's plan is perfect. 

I was slightly exasperated one night in my prayer to Heavenly Father and and I asked Him: "how are we going to baptize converts?!" This thought came to my mind, "keep going."

Keep going, keep working hard, keep seeking to improve. Keep hoping, keep loving. Keep being rejected, because I'm pretty sure that's some of what "keep going" includes. But through Christ we can have joy right now. And all will come together. All will work out. This is not my work, it's the Lord's. He knows what He's doing. And as we continually rely on Him and the Spirit He sends us, He will use us as instruments to accomplish His purposes. I know that's true. I trust Him. So I'm going to keep going for Him. 

I love you all and invite you to keep moving forward! Christ is always by your side as you follow Him, and He will help you.
---------------------------------------------------------





Comments

Popular Posts